Embroidery is an elaborate art that takes a lot of creativity and patience to make. Moreover, investment on good equipment and time are important in this craft too.
Sewing machine brands
- Janome, Singer, and Brother are one of the biggest names in the sewing machine market, both in commercial and home sewing. Brother and Singer are more specialized in home use, while Janome is more known for its heavy-duty and commercial-ready capacity.
- Janome sewing machines are known for their sturdy built that may be quite heavier than others, but are made to withstand a wide range of fabrics, including thick denim and leather. They are mostly used for commercial purposes though.
- Brother on the other hand, is known for its innovations and software in home sewing. Its sewing machines are widely recognized globally, especially the computerized types. The computerized types are equipped with tens to hundreds of stitches, and has the capacity to connect to the internet or USB devices and download some needed data. It could also save projects and keep the last stitch used in memory.
- Singer on the other hand has been in the business for a very long time, and is known for their embroidery devices. It is also known for creating models that are easy-to-use, with features that support this, alongside a community of Singer users that provide support and help for each other.
It is important to know one’s future projects, budget, and skill level before purchasing in order to get the best embroidery machine. Some projects might require more thread changes than others, and other embroidery machines, although good, may be way above your budget. How much are you willing to spend and what do you exactly need to get the best embroidery machine that will allow you to add style, definition, and creativity to your projects?
Function and features
- Some sewing machines are computerized and could use downloaded patterns, these are best for beginners. Could you imagine that? Computerized embroidery machines now could connect to the internet through a USB port and download patterns online! Floral prints, fonts, and other fantastic prints, are not a problem anymore.
- Some embroidery machines are capable of reading a USB device to allow you to transfer compatible files for patterns. You may download the patterns to your computer, convert it to a compatible file for the sewing machine, save it on an external drive, plug it on the embroidery machine, and voila! You have the pattern that you need.
If you are prioritizing cost, machines with only built-in patterns and cannot read or download new ones are the best option. If you can spend more, you can look for machines that even allow modifying the downloaded patterns and not just simply downloading them. Talk about boosting your creativity, right?
When you are skilled enough, or if you are already skilled in embroidery, you are free to create your own designs too. Put it in photo frames or in clothes. Personalize items at home! All these could be done with the best embroidery machine in hand. Doing embroidery takes a lot of skill and patience though. It will be worth it once you see your first projects!
Body and functionality
- Now putting brand, function, and features aside, the best embroidery machine should offer autopilot and automatic thread tension. It takes a lot of skill and experience to manually control all these, and even the most experienced ones need a break from time to time. Having this function may be more expensive than ones that don’t, but if you don’t want to be on the road to disappointment, and if you’re only starting in embroidery, it’s better to invest on it.
- Finding an embroidery machine that has a top loading bobbin and color-coded threading could also come in handy for the model to make use of different thread colors easily. Embroidery takes a lot more thread compared to regular sewing, and that would require multi-tasking.
- Lastly, the best embroidery machine provides a large frame to work on. Consider this and your future projects in selecting the size that you need.
In a nutshell, diving into the world of embroidery might be painstakingly complicated or amazingly much simpler, depending on the device you buy. If you really want to pursue this, it could be a skill that could not only add life to your home, but potentially be a source of income in the future! Choose well!
Incoming search terms:
- long bobbin and shuttle for new home sewing machine